Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I just like saying it

I've been spoiled by short flights. I'm normally going to like Florida or Texas or maybe Chicago. It takes a good bit longer to get to the West Coast, even longer if you are using Southwest and you stop twice. Anyway, we left home around 10am, and got to the hotel 7pm local time, for a grand total of eleven hours of travel. Fun. Oh, and the Denver airport still gives me the willies. The hotel concierge recommended a little Chinese place nearby for dinner which turned out to be pretty good. After dinner we walked the neighborhood a bit, then went back to the hotel. It felt a little weird to go to bed early, but the two hour time change made a difference and the day of travel had taken it's toll.

Tuesday morning we took advantage of the hotel continental breakfast and spent a little time just hanging out in the lobby. We then took a bus over to Union Square on our way to the SF Museum of Modern Art, SFMOMA. The guest exhibit was Frida Kahlo, and it was pretty cool. It definitely helped me that I had seen the movie. The rest of the museum was only so so far me. There's normally only so much modern art I can take. We walked down Market a bit looking for a place to eat. It was interesting to see so many fairly well dressed people walking around in the windy chilly weather. We eventually decided on this little French sandwich place. It was tasty. The whole thing felt very European.

After lunch we walked over to Union Square to do some shopping. Melissa went to H&M, Neiman's, and Macy's while I went to Brooks Brothers, Williams Sonoma, and Borders. The stores here are huge. Williams Sonoma was four floors, which is actually a bit much. I spent most of my time in Borders but had a helluva time finding a book to buy. Eventually went with a Teri Pratchett book as recommended by the Vaths. We took the bus back to the hotel, got cleaned up, and I spent some time talking to the concierge over coffee. With a better feel now for the area, we did a little walking again, this time with much better luck. We made our way to Filmore and Broadway which is actually a pretty nice scenic overlook type spot. Damn shame we couldn't see much due to the fog. Still, what we could see was pretty cool. Since the area near the hotel is called Japantown, we figured sushi would be a good call for dinner, so we went to Osaka as recommended by the hotel. Very tasty. I never knew you could get fried soft shelled crab in a sushi roll. After we got back to the hotel, we jumped in the rental car, and just drove around for a bit. Large cities at night are always pretty to me, and it was nice way to wind down the evening.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger richard said...

sounds fantastic. i can't wait to get back there with mary.

and i love softshell crab rolls - they strain the limits of my chopstick dexterity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home