Monday, July 18, 2005

Jimmy Dreams

Pretty much right after my blog post talking about the lack of rain in Austin, it started raining and I don't think it has stopped since. How we go from having no rain to having it rain seemingly every day, I have no idea. I fell old when after I find out it is raining, the first thing I think of is how much lower my water and electricity bill will be. Yeah I know, kinda sad. But I still feel young when I open the windows to smell the rain. It's a smell I didn't even realize I missed.

This past weekend, Taylor's friend Diego came to town with his wife Anna. You can find the recap over at Taylor's. One thing Taylor forgot to mention is that many of us failed to put on sunscreen during our Lake Travis boating trip. Melissa and I are both quite crispy but we now understand that UV penetrates clouds. Lesson learned. In the craziest case of it really is small world I have ever experienced, it turns out I baby sat for Anna's cousin who lives across the street from my parents in Algiers. Crazy. Anyway, it's nice to know people like Diego and Anna live in New Orleans and somehow it makes moving back there a little less scary.

We watched Collateral sometime last week. Very impressive. Tom Cruise as a bad guy was more convincing than I thought he would be. Maybe it's all the Scientology stuff in the news lately. Jamie Foxx also did an excellent job in another not his usual role performance. I particularly enjoyed the aspect of the plot dealing with Foxx's future career plans and his progress on those plans. In my current job I think I am doing a little of that perfect is the enemy of the good enough stuff and somehow watching this movie made me realize that and somewhat depress me. However, it has also made my moving back home conviction stronger so overall a net positive I think.

Speaking of Scientologists, yesterday we went to see Batman Begins. Also impressive. Go see it. It took some guts to just pretend the other movies never happened and it payed off big time. The story really makes you feel for Batman, which honestly, I never really did before. Bale also pulls off conflicted young adult/superhero/billionaire playboy/businessman convincingly, which isn't easy to do. And if you can get past all the stuff in the news lately, Katie Holmes does a decent job as well. I almost forgot she was Joey Potter, almost. The fight to save the city aspect of the movie resonated with me so I think that helped my enjoyment of the movie. Again, go see it.

I seem to be able to make anything that happens lately into a reason to move back home. I'm thinking that's a really good clue as to what I should do.

1 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Erin said...

are ya'll moving back?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home