Monday, June 20, 2005

The Horror, The Horror

For the past year or so I've been trying to read more books. Sometimes it's just silly stuff like Harry Potter or the most recent Robert Jordan. Other times I like something non-fiction like Gerstner's IBM book or America (The Book). And then occasionally I like to read a book that is a work of literature, which I why I am now reading Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury. All of these books that I have read, I have bought. When I was younger I was a frequent visitor of the library, so much so that I knew the librarians by name. Now I hardly ever go. I remember thinking at some point that I would buy the books that I read so that I could look at a bookshelf one day and see all the books. Is that really the best way to go? I mean sure collecting a few of your favorite books is nice, but I am ever really doing to read a Faulkner book twice? Not likely. Any comments from the readers out there? Buy vs library?

Here's a great Mark Twain quote a ran across recently that relates to the above. "A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read."

Had a pretty good weekend. Friday a few of us went over the Riche condo pool for some R&R and then headed over to the original Kerbey. Saturday was mostly household chores and the US Open. Saturday night Melissa and I went to the Riata Bar and Grill, which I think is a really good burger for the money, and then watched Apocalypse Now. Sunday was more US Open and Taylor cooking red beans for the group. Good times all around. Of course late Saturday night I wound up reading about the Vietnam War for two hours but really, who didn't see that coming.

One of my most treasured Father's Day memories is watching Payne Stewart win the US Open with my father. Golf is something my father and I have always shared and Payne was my father's favorite golfer so those two things combined with it being Father's Day made it a day to remember. Not long after Payne died in a plane crash and I think that helped to crystallize the memory. Watching the US Open together, whether in the same room or giving updates over the phone, is now somewhat of a tradition for the two of us and it's one I hope survives to pass on to the next generation.

5 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

My theory on buy vs. library is this:

1) If the book is something you definitely envision wanting to read more than once, or a book you have read before, loved, and want to read again--buy it.
2) If the book is a reference book, you'll want around for multiple uses--buy it.
3) If a particular book is something you really really want to read and are having a hard time finding it at the library or it's always checked out, consider buying, and if you love it and might want to read it again--keep it. Otherwise, donate to the library or take it to a used bookstore or something.

Of course, I think there's some exceptions for "classics" or literature that you might want to acquire in thoughts of creating a sort of "family library." Growing up, I always thought it was great that we had so many interesting books on hand (mostly due to years of summer reading books for all three of us kids). Having books on hand, I think, is a great way to encourage reading.

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've become a big fan of the library in the last few years. Mostly it was for monetary reasons... you can read a new release without having to shell out $20. If I really enjoyed the book I might buy it for the shelf, but otherwise I don't feel like I've wasted the money if the book didn't do much for me or if I decide to put it down without finishing.

As for having a shelf full of books just to look at and say, "hey, I've read all of those" seems a little conceited to me. (This coming from a guy who has "Genes VI" and "Biochemistry" prominently displayed :) ) Is it stroking your ego, or does it make a nice conversation piece? "Hey, I've always been interested in that book. How was it?"

Hmmm... I guess after all that I'd still say going to the library is great and the more it is used the more government will support them. I feel like the more I use the library the more it can justify its necessity.

-Steve G.

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I buy. When I want to read something, I want to read it NOW and do not want to arrive at the library to find it checked out.

Also, the reading geek in me enjoys having a collection of books.

Fritz

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

Library - mine has a great reserve system. I just order what I want, they send it to my nearest branch, I pick it up books when they come in. I almost never lack for something to read. I may have to wait a few weeks on new releases, but most things I can get within a day or two.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

Occassionally I will buy a book.. if I'm on travel, if it's something I particularly want on my shelf, if it's an author I just adore, whose work I can't wait on the library for or want to collect.

We used to buy tons of books, and our bulging shelves cry for mercy. But now that we have access to a good library, I mostly use that. Esp with the rate I go through books, buying becomes expensive fast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home