Friday, August 12, 2005

funny name, excellent news

Some time in the past I came across the website for the Christian Science Monitor newspaper. I remember being impressed with the articles I read, especially one about race relations in Los Angeles, but I never went back to the site. I think the Christian Science name threw me off. Well the other day I was reading an article that had been linked to from the Yahoo home page in the headlines section. It turned out to be from the Christian Science Monitor and not from AP or Reuters as I thought all Yahoo headlines were. The article was well written and just seemed better than what I was used to reading. Because of this experience, one day I decided to venture over to the CSM homepage and read all the articles I could. Amazing enough they were all of the same level of quality. One series of articles on Europe and religion was particularly good. With most newspaper articles I read, I get the facts, but I don't really understand the issue. The CSM articles always give me a sense of understanding. If you have any interest in well written news, you owe it to yourself to check this site out. If the name of the paper throws you off, read the about us page to understand why it is named the way it is, then read a few articles, and I think you will be surprised.

2 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger richard said...

The Christian Science Monitor is an excellent rag. Their education pieces are particularly good. Glad you gave them a closer look - I had similar misgivings a few years back.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

They get quoted on NPR quite a bit and sometimes their writers and editors are on for good interviews. I too was thrown by the name. I haven't gone to their website, but I too got over my name-based prejudice :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home