Monday, July 25, 2005

better than stalling

After a few hectic weekends in a row, Melissa and I were looking forward to a relaxing low key weekend. As it turns out, I think we did a few too many things for that to be true. Friday night we went over to Jerry's for grilled food, music, wine, and company. The food was excellent even if we did have to throw away that one ear of caterpillar infested corn. The music was mostly new CDs Melissa purchased including Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, and Foo Fighters. The notable exception being Richard Cheese, who was damn funny. The wine was varied and while a few were simple, they were all wonderful to drink. Of course with as much as we had, everything tasted good toward the end. The company was excellent as usual though I doubt Taylor will ever be able to convince me that exercising is fun. I'm just not wired that way.

Saturday morning I finished Harry Potter. When I say morning, I do mean the early morning as I read from one to five. You would think that reading at that time would be relatively peaceful, however the jerk who set off fireworks at four made sure that wouldn't happen. At the first sound and flash I was ready to charge into battle with my wand at the ready. I get kinda absorbed when I read if you couldn't tell. The book was enjoyable and I particularly like the teen romance plots and the British euphemisms. Snogging! The seventh book has been set up very well and the only downside is it isn't available right now to read.

With an oh so restful 5 hours of sleep, I got up Saturday morning to attend the Corvette show in Georgetown with Jerry. The last car show I had been to was the Texas Heat Wave last year and comparing the two crowds made it a fun people watching event, think Fast and the Furious vs Click and Clack. It was also entertaining to watch the fanatical try to protect their cars when it started to drizzle. The C1 is still my favorite thought Jerry owning a C5 for a while made me appreciate that model as well. The C6 is growing on me, but I'm not a big fan as of now. Later that afternoon, Jerry gave Melissa a stick shift lesson, along with a burnout lesson in IBM's parking lot. You can still see the tire marks. Afterwards we had snowballs in celebration.

Saturday night, Melissa and I had a dinner and a movie date night. I had the cannelloni at Vinny's which was quite tasty, and tasty again today I might add, and the accordion guy playing Sound of Music tunes was entertaining. The movie of the night was North by Northwest. I have been trying to figure out what to say about the film but can come up with nothing better than what Fritz wrote so here is a quote.
In a way, North by Northwest seems like the prototype for the modern "summer" film. It has action, romance, laughs, and suspense. There is nothing particularly deep about the film. North by Northwest aims only to entertain, and it does so as well as any film in cinema history.
On Sunday, we ran a few errands, and in an attempt to catch up on our summer films, watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at Alamo. Yes I know, another movie. It seems to be what we do. I liked the movie, though it is a little strange. Not quite as trippy as the original but still rather odd. From what I hear about the source material, it would hard to make a movie based on the book and not be. The addition of background for Wonka worked for me, though oddly Depp didn't. It wasn't that he did a poor job it's just that he didn't do as good of a job as I expected. The downside of being good I suppose. It being a Tim Burton movie it did of course look amazing. Charlie and his family also did an amazing job of making me care for them. I think it's just hard watching current movies while at the same time watching classics on DVD.

Sunday night played a little BF2. I found a way to find people I know playing the game and as a result ran into Lloyd online. We played on the same server for roughly an hour and it was a lot more fun knowing my squad leader. It was also interesting that the more he and I worked as a team, the more the other members of our squad performed the same way. It probably also helped that we were scoring well. I should be promoted to in a round or two which will be nice as that will allow be to get a weapon unlock. Only problem is, I don't know which weapon I want. Oh the trials and tribulations of computer games. I know, it's a rough life.

1 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Taylor said...

I find the C6 to be stunning. I like the more Euro lines and they trimmed down the back end of the car to have a reasonable sized tail.

Upping the horsepower available on the standard model was a nice touch.

Of course, the fact that the interior now is much more luxury car and much less geo metro is a big plus.

They really all of my complaints about the C5 and fixed them. They actually made it a nice car, not just a really fast one.

And that is the end of my Corvette rant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home