Sunday, October 10, 2004

Are you ready for some football?

For about three years now I have been saying I wanted to go to a Texas high school football game. It's supposed to be crazy out here if you believe the stories and the movies and I wanted to see it first hand. Friday night, I fulfilled my dream. Five of us drove out to my sister's new hometown, Manor, to watch a game. It's a small town, a little over 1000 people, and the high school is in division 3A, so it wasn't exactly Friday Night Lights, but it had all the aspects that I had hoped for. Bleachers, a program, people in the visiting team section, bands, cheerleaders, couples making out under the bleachers, affordable concessions, crazy plays, and down to the wire drama. Manor lost, by just one point, but we had a great time anyway. Dessert at Sonic after completed the perfect night.

Saturday we had people over for the Red River Shootout. Melissa served up some jambalaya and I broke out the heffeweissen. Everything was set for a great game. The Longhorn offense however failed to show up. Damn. I like defensive battles so I thought it was a fun game to watch, and up until the very end I thought we had a chance. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Later that day, Jerry and I cleaned and washed our cars. Yes, you read that right. Chad washed his car. For those of you who don't know, I don't wash my car much. I'm not proud of it but facts are facts. Jerry thinks it's been two years since I washed it last, and I couldn't find fault with his logic. Yeesh.

Saturday night part of the gang reconvened for the LSU Florida game. For a while I thought I was going to watch the team I was routing for lose for the third time this weekend, but thankful the Tigers pulled it off in the end. It was in HD which is always nice, and the final minutes decided that game so it entertained the crowd. Plus I get bragging rights with the Florida fan at work. I know I know. I went to Auburn. Shut up.

Today, Jerry and I went down to Shoal Creek Saloon for the Saints game. Here's what was good about that: talking to Melissa and Andy, visiting with Jerry's friend Kurt, having two Pearls, and eating a shrimp po-boy. Notice I didn't mention football. It's hard being a Saints fan, though cheering against Chuckie is always a good time.

In other news, the driving range and my golf game agreed with each other for once. That's always nice. The first episode of Lost was damn good. We have the rest to look forward to on the DVR. Desperate Housewives continues to impress. I don't know if the mystery thing can last more than one season though so I'm curious to see where they take it. Star Wars on DVD looks amazing. Hell, the new THX opening alone makes the purchase worth it.

Coming up: the eye doctor and a mid-week vacation day. Stay tuned.

5 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Mary) I'm curious about how they're going to handle the mystery on Desperate Housewives too. They've spent a lot of time on it so far. I can't see how they could get more than one season out of it if the pace stays the same. My guess is that we're going to see very little of the mystery chest for the next few episodes.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Maybe I missed something not seeing the first episode of Desparate Housewives, but I saw most of the second episode after Extreme Makeover Home Edition (sniff). Anyway, has this chick been talking in the background the whole time??? I don't think I'm interested enough in what I've seen so far to watch it again--though I am curious about why that other woman's house got burned down--but we'll see.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Mary) Yes, the same woman has been narrating this entire time. In the first episode, she commits suicide. When the other women are cleaning out her closet, they find a note that says "I know what you did. It makes me sick. I'm going to tell." So, the mystery is why did the woman commit suicide.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

They recapped what happened in episode 1, but I guess what I'm saying is that I think if you missed that episode, the show is hard to get into. The woman sounds downright chipper in her whole "looking back on the world I left behind" thing. So how bad could it have been? I really hope she stops talking though.

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Mary) I see what you're saying now. I think the show is trying to work a strange ambiance (kind of a Twin Peaks-esq kind of a thing). In the first episode, she sounded just as chipper when she narrated her suicide (they showed it in a flashback), and the effect was downright creepy. But in the second episode, the stuff going on with the other women is so ordinary comedy/drama that the creepiness of the voiceover gets lost. And I can see how, if you hadn't seen the suicide scene, the voiceover would just seem strange and out of place. I was more impressed with the first episode, and I'm hoping that the next episode is more like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home