Monday, July 26, 2004

Roy Hobbs can bring those blue sparks.

I've watched a fair number of movies lately, some new and some old. Saturday night the Riche's came over after some Fran's and Sandy's goodness to watch Big Fish. All I was expecting was some Tim Burton weirdness and while it delivered that, I also experience a very touching movie. Makes me wish I had better documentation of Papa Chase and Granny's stories.

Melissa and I continued our Sunday matinee Alamo tradition and caught Fahrenheit 9/11. I wasn't overly thrilled about giving Michael Moore any money, so much so that I thought about buying a ticket to another movie and then sneaking in. Instead we went to a matinee and used a coupon. I found it very entertaining and at times funny in a SNL kind of way. Moore definitely knows how to voice over and edit well. I'll give him that. It's not my brand of politics, but I think its worth seeing no matter what your views. Some of you out there should not see it in front of the general public. Yes that means you Taylor.

Sunday night I was flipping channels looking for something to fill the void and stumbled on the opening credits of The Natural. Three hours later I saw the famous home run with sparks. Beyond that scene, it really is a good movie. Always makes me feel like I am reading a novel in English class and I mean that in a good way. Just don't forget to turn up the volume when you watch it since they obvious didn't know how to set a mike level during production.

Due to my weekend activities I have a longing to hear "Fire Water Burn" by the Bloodhound Gang and "Boyz In the Hood" by Dynamite Hack. Let me explain. During Fahrenheit, there were two scenes in the movie, one with the US troops and another with the Iraqi people, where pieces from the first song were used. As for the second, well it turns out I have a thing for late 60s Chevies, as in Impalas or Chevelles. You see I went with Jerry to this crazy Texas car show and amidst all the low rider trucks, which I did not like, I found I liked those cars. Weird I know. So I figured if I was a white boy riding around in one of those, the best song to play would be that second one. Oh yeah.

2 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

I rented/ripped Big Fish on DVD the other day. Haven't had a chance to watch it, but my brother really liked it. I also have Starsky and Hutch but haven't had time for that one yet either.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Ewan McGregor was very amusing... his facial expressions cracked me up.

And damn, that was a good hamburger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home