Tuesday, July 20, 2004

GolfTEC

So I had my golftec initial evaluation today. It is interesting to hit that many times off of a mat. What Aamir said is true, when you can't see where the ball goes, you pay a lot more attention to your swing. Also, being able to see yourself on the monitor, even just for the address, is very helpful.

Here are some of the things he pointed out on the video. At address all my body measurements were in the green. There were a few things to work on however my feet are a little too far apart and my hands are too far from my thighs. As I take the club back, I keep my head directly over the ball, which is actually not a good thing. The pros pull their head back just a bit and then keep in there for the rest of the swing. On the way back I bring the club much more over head than I should. With the pros the club stays on a parallel path to where it starts. It's easier to see on the video.

At the top of my swing, I don't have enough turn, both hips and shoulders. Part of this is my head getting in the way, and part of this is just me not turning. I kinda already knew this, but I just don't know how to correct it. On the way down I cast my hands, releasing my wrists way too early. Because of this I lose club head speed and force my body to stand up so as not to hit the ground. At impact I am standing up from my original position and have not turned through the swing enough.

After impact my arms have not turned over enough due mostly to my body not turning enough before impact. By the finish I finally turn my body around though like the backswing, the club is over my head as opposed to behind me.

After the evaluation we worked on the address position. I focused on bringing my feet closer together, getting my hands close to my thighs, and bringing my head back as I take the club away. Changing my address position felt very odd and will take some getting used to.

He also worked with me to turn my head a little more so that I was looking behind the ball instead of in front of it. Now, while he was telling me this I thought he was wacko. I mean I'm looking at the ball not in front of it. Then I remembered I use my right eye predominantly. When I line up my head over the ball, I tilt a little bit to get my right eye directly over the ball. This is giving my head more work to do to get behind the ball. I imagine for the next rounds I'll be blinking at a lot at address. Should be interesting to watch.

All in all a very interesting lesson and I think one of the best ways to get a lesson. I purchased one of the packages so I'll be going back for a few more half hour lessons before this is all said and done. It should be interesting to see the short term and long term effects on my game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home