Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hardcore Downstairs

Woke up at a decent hour in order to make the 10:15 Sunday service at St Paul's Catherdral. The closest Tube stop was closed so we had to walk a bit. The bells announcing the service made it pretty easy to figure out which direction to go. It also got me very excited as we walked through the City. The service we attended didn't have a Eucharist, and it was called Mattins and Address if that means anything to anyone. Most everything was sung by the choir. The congregation only said a few things. The deacon, a woman, made some excellent points in the homily like part of the service bringing in Ricky Gervais and Iraq. All in all I was very impressed by both the service and the Cathedral.

Got back to the hotel around noon in order to pack to change rooms and to wait for Jerry. Jerry found the pub/hotel just fine, we changed rooms, then we met British Dave in the pub for a beers and lunch. We had the beer from the cellar, mine was called something like Tea, and then had a traditional British dish for lunch, Wellington something and Yorkshire pudding. After lunch, we all headed down to Covent Gardens to get some good people watching in. Stopped at a bar to have coffee, then walked through SoHo to get Jerry a good view of the gay bars and sex shops. Dave headed home and the three of us took a break at Cafe Nero. Then we headed to Chinatown for dinner. Good Chinese food and it seemed to be a very authentic restaurant.

Back at the hotel we caught a little of the live Sunday night music, relaxed in the room, had beer in the pub, then went to bed.

6 Comments:

At 4:33 AM, Blogger Jerry Centanni said...

I'd just like to point out they were showing me the sex shops...the gay bars just happen to be in the same area... Though I'm not sure why they were so hell bent on showing me either thing! Good first day in London anyway.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for that clarification. i was wondering....

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am really enjoying your blog. sounds like you two are really having fun

aunt be

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jerry,
don't let those two evil people lead you astray!! I know you don't like those places they are trying to take you. HAHA! Have fun. Am really enjoying the blog - a great way to get the news.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys- what an interesting blog- Cahd u should bea journalist-I'm enjoying your tales and please keep my son out of the seemy side of London- I remember when we did the play Oliver with St Pius we had the scence in the 3 criples bar- it was rauncy so I can picture what you talked about- Ya'all have fun what a great trip -I'm enjoying the blog- keep up the good work! Diane

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Covent garden, when I went, was the hipster place. I hope you get some shopping in, Melissa -- ditch those men. I'm still wearing (am wearing today) stuff that I bought in London three and a half years ago. Some are a bit ragged now, admittedly, but that only adds to their charm. Not according to my mother.
Is it Camden that's (one of) the big market place(s)? I can't remember.
Thanks for updating us!
--MDS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home