Sunday, August 20, 2006

Thank You Very Much

I have officially accepted a new position with IBM. It is a 50% travel 50% work at home job so it will allow Melissa and I to move back to New Orleans. Wow. This is really happening.

In other news, we have been busy trying to do as many Austin things as possible. Thursday we attended the Beastie Boys Rap-Along at the Alamo Drafthouse with the Riches. I found out that I didn't know nearly as many Beastie Boys' songs as I thought I did and that I didn't really know the correct words to the ones I did know. Oh, and it was also fun. It seemed Melissa and Taylor had a really good time and I think Carrie and I had a pretty good time just watching them.

Friday Melissa and I went to Kerbey Lane for dinner and then to Little Miss Sunshine. Now that was an odd movie. I liked it, and there were many laugh out loud funny parts, but yeah, odd.

Saturday night, we met up with the Riches and had dinner at Guero's, a South Austin institution. It's a more authentic Mexican restaurant than I am used to, but was still quite good. I'd like to go back and try some different dishes. After dinner we walked across the street to another South Austin institution, the Continental Club. Twice a year they have an Elvis tribute show. This year they had a Sun Records Elvis band and then a Vegas Elvis band. It was awesome. A lot of the songs I didn't know, but we rocked out anyway. People of all ages were in the crowd and everyone was just into it. Very glad we went.

Today, Sunday, Melissa and I spent some time exploring the Blanton museum. Seeing as she walks past it every day on the way to work she figured it would be a good idea to actually go inside. Of the things we saw, I liked the Rembrandt etchings the most. The European Art section was very interesting and all of it was impressive. The Modern Art section, not so much. Some stuff was good, but some of that stuff is just beyond me. There was one installation that was pretty cool, and the collection of American West art was entertaining.

All in all a good Austin weekend.

8 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats,Chad...apparently you and Melissa know what it means to miss New Orleenz.

We need our best and brightest--you and Melissa--to help rebuild this still-great City.

Canoli, Spumone, seed cookies and espresso on me at Brocato's in Mid-City the moment they open.

Also, my famous Celebration in the Oaks party on Hidalgo could be revived in your honor. Renovations underway and moving well.

Glad you all are coming home.

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo - what does the 50/50 mean? You'll go to Austin every other week?

You guys are living up a much more authentic Austin lifestyle than I did before I left. ;o)

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

Congrats on the job. It seems like all the pieces of your lives are falling into place nicely.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I highly, highly recommend Little Miss Sunshine.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

Congrats - working from home is fun! and Mel's right, Little Miss Sunshine should be highly, highly recommended.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

Glad you guys were able to work out your move. Rap-along night sounds fantastic.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger richard said...

that is awesome news, chad. congratulations.

and well done on the "get things done in austin before we move" plan. we did not do it very well; you guys are. hats off.

so there's a conference in new orleans next summer. i'd like to attend, and perhaps stay with my good friends chad and melissa. i'm just saying.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Congrats Chad! I'll be in and out of the city for the next year or so...we'll have to meet up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home