Monday, July 10, 2006

You Will. You? Will. You? Will. You? Will.

Since Chad has fallen into the World of Warcraft, I figured I needed to step up to the plate and update this blog. It has been like six weeks, dude. Let’s see if I can paint a small picture of the happenings of the CED IV’s.

We attended Chad’s (and Jerry’s) 10 year high school reunion the first weekend of June. I think I was more excited about this then Chad. I can’t believe Chad and I have been a couple for 10 years. Wow, still crazy to believe. Of course, much drinking was had by all. Our dear friend Tony Barattini decided to give me a nametag that read “Mrs. Centanni” to wear throughout the evening. I wonder if that confused a few people. I hope it did. Chad, Jerry and I did get to see a few faces from the past, which was nice. The same question which got asked was “When are you having kids?” Never, ok, does that answer your question! :) I ran into someone I went to high school with who now has two kids, 3 years and 15 months. YIKES!! Good for you honey! My 10 year reunion will be in October. I can hopefully make it.

Our dear friends, Wayne and Jennifer Rupp came to Austin and visited with us and Jerry the weekend after the reunion. Wayne brought Chad over to the dark side and gave him a free trial run of WoW. So it has begun. They also brought along their two boys, Collin and Andrew. It was great to see them. Jenn is an old friend from high school who now lives in Florida with her family. She married one of Jerry’s oldest friends. It is crazy how intertwined Jerry and my lives are. He is the second brother I never had. The two boys loved Chad, so know he feels better about having a son. Really Chad, you will be fine.

On Father’s Day weekend, we drove to Houston to visit the CED III’s (Chad’s parents). On Saturday, we got a room at the Galleria in downtown Houston and spent the night. This meant I shopped in places I don’t usually shop. One day, Chanel, one day! We had a lovely Father’s Day brunch down in the Rice university district with the parents and talked about the plans for the new Waveland house. They are coming along nicely, I have to say. We got back to Austin in enough time to see Phil Mickelson totally mess up the Open. Yeah, what an ending.

The Alamo Drafthouse Downtown has had a couple of sing-a-long shows that we have attended. The first one was the Boy Band Sing-a-along. You heard me right, boy bands, from New Edition to N’Sync and my favs, New Kids on the Block. Oh Joey McIntyre, how he made me swoon. The theater showed a whole bunch of videos with the Sinus guys doing commentary. I haven’t danced that hard in a long time. When the “Please don’t go girl” video came on screen, I screamed. You don’t understand, I SCREAMED! I am sure I embarrassed the hell out of my husband. I left the theater having had a workout and a headache. The entire show reminded me of a different time. Mainly, my time in New Orleans, post Loyola before Austin and before Chad and I married. It reminded me that this August will be my fifth year anniversary in Austin. The night before I moved here, I went to see N’Sync at the Superdome. Yeah, it is hard for me to believe as well. I am still completely boy crazy, just my guys write better songs! I think that was just as much fun as my wedding! :)

Two days later was Sir Paul McCartney’s 64th birthday and the Alamo celebrated in style. A Beatles sing-a-long. Now, I love the Beatles, so we had to go to this. They are the original boy band. I sometimes think I was born at the wrong time because I totally could have been one of the girls crying in the crowd screaming “Paul!!”. I was raised driving around with my dad singing “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” They are probably the main reason I love any music coming from the UK. They passed out props before hand, which I picked up a tambourine and Chad a harmonica. In two hours they played about 30 songs, anything with a video. It was fantastic and ending with a standing ovation to Hey Jude, which I think may be my favorite Beatles tune. Still thinking about that one.

The 4th of July weekend was spent in New Orleans/Waveland. Saturday the entire Dickey Clan, Jerry, and the Barattini’s were in Waveland, in front of the trailer, under a tarp. The sun stayed in the clouds so it was a great day on the beach. No swimming yet, too much debris in the water. Most of the land is cleared off and people are starting to rebuild, which is a promising sign. Bay St. Louis had their Crabfest and it seemed well attended. That was also another promising sign. Hopefully next summer, the Dickey’s will have a new DiCASEL for the summer. Jerry made some damn good burgers by the way. Melissa and Andy are home for the summer, so it was good to spend some time with them. They should be taking a trip to the ATX in a few weeks before heading back to the north.

As mentioned earlier, Chad is now a full-fledged World of Warcraft junkie, and I think his friends are as well. This is probably the main reason for him not posting. Hopefully this will light a fire under his butt! We have returned to our summer Netlix sessions and they have been pretty good. We are finishing up the first season of Arrested Development and will start the second season of Scrubs. We have watched Notting Hill, Sliding Doors, Team America, and Black Hawk Down. Bridget Jones’ Diary should be sometime this week.

We have also made it to the movies a few times. We have seen Nacho Libre and Superman Returns. Pirates of the Carribbean should be sometime this week. I also saw the Break-Up during my time in New Orleans. I personally can’t wait for Talledega Nights! The World Cup was also interesting. It was a shame Chad and I weren’t in Europe this June because we could have experienced it first hand!

That is pretty much it. I have taken in a few concerts in that time, Snow Patrol, Arctic Monkeys, We Are Scientists and an in-store by Pete Yorn. All were wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing Bloc Party in August. Work is slow, but school is out so that is to be expected. The countdown to Europe has begun!

11 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

It's Melissa! At first, I was confused why Chad was talking about himself in the third person. :) Yay for new bloggers. Maybe I should post for Taylor since he too is caught up in WoW.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Chad said...

For the record, only the last couple of weeks of no posting was WoW related. Previous to that, it was just pure laziness.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

Also for the record, I have been posting. I posted yesterday, in fact!

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Melissa! Boo Chad! (although the whole immersed in computer games makes me jealous and melancholy) Ahh, how times have changed.
-Steve

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger richard said...

good update, hell of a few weeks. glad fun continues to be had.

i too am now under the WoW spell...

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job, Melissa. Since Chad was "blogged down" someone had to update the haircut bit. He doesn't even answer my emails. I did get to see him in NO for 6 holes of golf before rain chased us in.

Stay active and keep us posted. Hope to see you both soon. Reunions are fun...but not when it's the 45th, like mine from good old De La Salle High will be in 2007.

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome recap Me-wife! Now I don't feel out of it, haha.

For the record, N*Sync is AWESOME, and Justified is the greatest solo debut album ever.

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the update, T. I was wondering if y'all had been de-blogged or something. like your dad, i drove my kids around singing with the Beatles, and this week bought Sir Paul's new CD which i would highly recommend. ON behalf of the former generation, you can be sure we will do our best to progress the plans for the new improved DiCasel. hopefully in time for the 4th in 07.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

Mel, I suppose your logic about The Beatles being the first boy band is reasonably sound, but the thought of them being called "a boy band" and therefore being lumped in with the likes of N'Sync, Backstreet, New Kids on the Block, etc. nearly makes my head explode. Based on fan reaction/enthusiasm, there are similarities, but ya gotta admit, the Beatles are on a different plane.

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe someone could update Jerry's blog for him. ;-)

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Jerry Centanni said...

I saw that Carrie!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home