Wednesday, March 09, 2005

trash day

This is possibly the best T-shirt ever.

Anytime I hear the Star Trek: The Next Generation theme song, the feeling of nostalgia is almost overwhelming. Anyone else feel that way about TV show theme songs?

Before you ever forward anything to anyone else, look it up on snopes.com. Please oh please oh please.

Does the mere mention of the possibility of gender differences make someone sexist? I know it's more complicated than that I'm just worried about where we are headed, especially as it relates to academia.

And finally, a quote. "Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." -- George Bernard Shaw

1 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

Okay, much to say.

I covet Rory's shirt as well.

About the brains thing..... I am a woman scientist. I am willing to entertain the idea that men's brains and women's brains work differently. However, I don't believe we yet know that difference means one gender group is naturally more or less suited to a particular type of mental exercise.

I've had to listen to many a talk about linear v non-linear brains and how being a scientist means I'm denying my basic feminine nature because women are not designed to do that sort of thinking.

I can tell you right now that the only thing about being in science that made me want to deny my feminine nature was the desire not to want to stick out like a sore thumb. So yes, I do have concerns when I hear people making remarks like this.

Is it possible our brains work differently? Sure. There's also a whole heck of a lot of social and historical stuff going on there. It seems to be a question worth exploring, but if I were a female science student at Harvard right now, I'd be pretty dismayed by that remark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home