Friday, December 09, 2005

But I own the game!

Last night I decided to install Battlefield 2 in preparation for the LAN party. I haven't played it since before Katrina and since then the computer died so I needed to get it back on the computer. I dug around for the CDs and realized the instruction manual wasn't in the box. Now, you might think I wouldn't need the manual since I already know how to play the game. However, the manual contains the CD key. I searched and searched and searched but couldn't find it. In desperation I did a Google search to find if there was some way to get a new key. I found a lot of hacks and offers to trade for keys, but nothing like what I was looking for. Then I saw one post that mentioned that the CD key is stored in the Windows registry. I had a bunch of files I saved off the old hard drive, and I knew one directory was nothing but backup registry files. Maybe I could did through the file and find it? Opening it in wordpad wasn't a large help but I found three things that looked like they might be keys, but I wasn't sure. Then I found a freeware utility using Google that reads registry files. Using that I found the key, which was indeed one of the things I found in Wordpad. An hour later I was online playing the new version of Wake Island. I love being a techie.

8 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger richard said...

nicely done.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

yes, quite impressive

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

oh, and how is the new Wake?

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i didn't understand a word you said

-mo

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Jerry Centanni said...

well done, my friend, well done!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Chad said...

The new Wake is nice. It plays pretty much just like BF1942, except the US is attacking. Of course when the Huey shows up, or artillery drops on your head you remember things are a little different.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

I agree w/ anonymous. You might as well have been speaking Swahili. I did deduce that a game of some sort is involved, though.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I also agree with Mo. I can tell, just from this post, that she and I will probably need serious help just dealing with getting a game to play on the xbox that Greg loaned us. Man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home