Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Visions of Sugar Plums

Sunday night I just could not get to sleep. I suppose sleeping in till noon will do that to you. I tried all the relaxation techniques I knew, but nothing was working. And then my mind began to wander. Something Jerry said on Saturday kept coming to mind. We had been talking about what to do different to decorate his house next year and he said, "Are you even going to be here next year?" All I could think about while lying in bed were all the great things in Austin I will miss when we leave, especially the friends. Monday morning when I got to work I decided to hang up my 2006 calendar. If all goes according to the plan in my head, there are only 25 weeks left in Austin. Crazy. And depressing. Major life decisions are never easy I guess. When I got home that night, Melissa and I discussed our plans for this Christmas. During the conversation she said these words, "Imagine what it'll be like next year when we're living there." Instantly my depression lifted and I remembered the point of it all. Thinking of leaving Austin may make me sad, but thinking of living in New Orleans makes me happy. So this is what bittersweet feels like.

5 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad:

Very nicely said...your comments on bittersweet. A battered, but resilient, New Orleans awaits you and Melissa. We need our best and brightest home to help with the rebuilding process. On your first weekend back, it's cafe'au lait and beignets on me at Cafe DuMonde.

Uncle Poog

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Taylor said...

Don't take it the wrong way if I pretend I never read your post and ignore this whole "leaving" business and pretend it isn't happening and all.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Taylor said...

But... that being said, I'm glad you all seem to have a plan. Plans are good. I'm just not going to be sad until I have to be.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger The Movie Guys said...

It's going to be positively surreal actually having friends come BACK to N.O. instead of leaving it, as in the past 5 years, I have had to deal with friends leaving after 1) college 2) grad school and 3) Katrina. It'll be downright weird to actually have people come back.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Jerry Centanni said...

Sorry to make such a sleep depriving comment like that... You have no idea how hard it is not to beg you to stay in Austin, but I do understand... Trying to take Taylor's approach - enjoy ya'll while you're still here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home