Sunday, January 15, 2006

I heart V Y

Jerry's friend Chatrian was in town this weekend and though she had been to Austin before, we used her as an excuse to do all things Austin. Friday night we had dinner at Shady Grove, I had some awesome tacos, and then we headed down to 6th. We started off at the Driskell Bar which has become our go to starting place. Nice atmosphere but my Old-Fashioned should have been better for the price. I had heard about a bar on 6th that had just opened by the owner of Razzoo's in NOLA, so we went there next. They had a entertaining band playing with a lead singer who sang 80s music and looked like a cross between Fred and Wayne. The whole place very much had a Razzoo's feel. I guess I'm just getting old but it was a shade too loud if anything bad can be said about it.

Saturday Melissa and I test drove a Nissan Altima, a Toyota Camry, a Mitsubishi Gallant, and a Mazda6. Of the four Melissa liked the Mazda6 the most, although it was the Gallant that she decided to test drive as a V6 and punch it on MoPac. Hearing her scream due to the acceleration is a memory I won't soon forget.

Saturday night a big group of us drove out to the Salt Lick for dinner. The concept of the place is good BBQ in the middle of nowhere that's BYOB. I know it sounds weird but it's an Austin tradition and one I had not participated in so I was happy to go. The meat was good, the sauce was good, and the company was good. What more could you want from a restaurant experience? After we stopped by La Dolce Vita for some gelato. All nights should end with gelato.

Sunday Melissa and I went to campus for the UT National Championship Celebration. Basically it was a giant pep rally in the stadium for anyone who showed up. I was afraid the whole city was going to be in line but we showed up about 3:45 and walked right in. It was a bit boring to sit there till things got going, but once they started showing highlights the place got excited and all thoughts of boredom were gone. It was nice to hear everyone speak and see the team and band one last time. I really hadn't expected to be back in the stadium after the 2004 season so it was a real treat. I'm way more of a Texas fan than I ever thought I would be. Weird.

5 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is Gelato?

No Honda test drive? The Dickeys are a Honda family.

Sounds like a fun weekend...a lot like the Wurstfest...Ralph The Diving Pig at the big football rally?

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Chad said...

Italian ice cream, we drove the Honda Accord and the VW Passat on other occasions, Ralph was not there but Bevo was.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

This made me cry too. I need to start saving Chad's posts to read when I am at home.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Yay.. Go 6. The v6 6 is a very different beast than 4 banger. Make sure you test drive both of them before making a decision.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

Gelato is the best thing ever!

Dammit, now I want a gelato.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home