Thursday, January 15, 2004

A Diamond is Forever

On Tuesday I worked from home, which, since there isn't much going on at work right now, meant I sat on the couch in my pajamas watching daytime television with a laptop on the couch arm. The last time I watched daytime television, Dr. Phil was still just on Oprah and the average age of the cast of Days was a lot higher. I quasi watched a few soaps. I think there was some plot line on one of them where three girls and an old lady were in a room where "time stands still." Seriously, the lady said that, and not in the metaphory type way. And let me tell you, the people on Dr. Phil aren't all that bright. First off they go on the show with nutty problems, then Dr. Phil says common sense things, and the people are all like, "I never thought of it like that. It makes so much sense now." Something just seemed off. And the ads, oh God. Daytime TV ads are the worst. All the ones on during Dr. Phil were all diet and self help and bad ones to boot. One of the guys actually said, "My wife and I lost 65 pounds and now she is hotter than this fireplace." I was swept off my feet.

The reason I was working at home on Tuesday was due to the big move at work. There is construction going on in our normal work area and it seems people were getting sick from all the fumes. I don't think the "Warning: Asbestos" signs helped either. It's a temporary move and because of that they decided to give everyone their own offices in the temporary space. Everyone, except me and my team lead. Due to a clerical error, he and I are sharing what would be two offices, if not for the lack of a wall. There are actual two doors each with a separate lock. All of this creates an interesting situation. On the down side, I don't have my own office and its harder to goof off since my team lead is right there. On the up side, he has been pulling me in on a few more things and asking for my opinion quite a bit. Also, I got to arrange my desk in such a way so that people walking in my office can't see my monitor, always a plus. Of course, they didn't move the lab where I work, so it’s a five minute walk to the lab now. I figure if I park at the end of the parking lot, walk all the way to the lab, then back to my office, that’s damn near my exercise for the day.

On the Internet side of life, I now know a lot more about elf sex than I ever wanted to. Thank you Taylor. Also, studies show that people like it when waitresses draw a smiley face on their bill, but not so much when a waiter does. And did anyone else know that the guy who funded the Rhodes scholarships made his money by founding a little company know as De Beers or that the money was intended to by used to form a "Secret Society" whose goal was to be the "extension of British rule throughout the world?" I have enough trouble worrying about the Masons and the Templars. Now I have to worry about Rhodes scholars as well?

I leave you with a quote used in the West Wing which is from Abraham Lincoln's Second State of the Union. "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home