Monday, January 12, 2004

But it was a beginning.

For a few years now I have made a point of seeing all the best picture nominees before the Oscars. To that end Melissa and I went to see The Last Samurai today at Alamo. Strangely enough the last movie we went to see was Cold Mountain so the timeline matched up pretty well considering the movie started with talk about the Civil War. Melissa has not been much of a fan of Mr. Cruise ever since he broke it off with Nicole Kidman, so I was a little worried if she could put that aside. I knew it had been a good movie when she liked the movie, even though he was in it. The first two thoughts I had as I left the theater were: Did the story have any basis in fact? and What would someone from Japan say about the movie? With the power on Google and little to do at work, I should have a least the first question answered in a few days. Though I doubt it was the director's intent, I left the movie with a strong desire to shout out my New Orleans roots, something like, "I am a New Orleanian, like my father before me." Then again, anything I think about these days makes me think of moving back to New Orleans, so maybe that just says more about me than the movie.

Let's say you play golf fives times a year and furthermore let's say one of those rounds was a pretty good round. Did you know that your official handicap would be based solely on that one round? Having a decent handicap may be easier than I thought.

Oh right, one last thing. GEAUX TIGERS!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home