Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Why I didn't see Interview with a Vampire in the theater

A movie theater chain I have never heard of, GKC, is offering R-rated cards which allow parents to sign off on their child seeing an R-rated movie without actually going to the movie. The CNN article says the movie industry is upset because they think the government will step in to stop it and it will open up a debate about movie ratings. I think it's a great idea since I think a parent has a better idea of what is appropriate for their child than the movie industry does. What does everyone else think?

3 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

Ebert has talked about this at some length recently. I think some video rental places have been doing this for a while, haven't they? The only potential problem I can see, is that the cards will let your kid into any R-rated movie. I loved Kill Bill, but I probably wouldn't let a 16-year-old go. But, the Big Lebowski? Chasing Amy? Gosford Park? ('cause you know the kids were lining up for that one) Why not?

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger richard said...

I have a feeling that I'll be incredibly strict about movies with our kids, but I see no problem with the existence of such a card.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Claudia said...

Aamir - That would be a sensible way to handle it, as a parent. Then you just have to trust that your kid went to the agreed-upon flick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home