Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Obviously you're not a golfer.

On Friday a number of us tried to meet up at Shoal Creek Saloon for some much need shrimp po-boy Lent Friday goodness. I say tried because there was a UT basketball game on and the place was packed. Damn March Madness. So we went to West Lynn Cafe instead. Now West Lynn is good, my eggplant parmesan was as good as it could have been, its just hard to go from Louisiana seafood goodness to Austin hip vegetarian. Afterwards we decided to unwind by watching the Big Lebowski and drinking White Russians. Good times.

Melissa and I got dressed up Saturday night and treated ourselves to a dinner at Aquarelle. It had been a while since we had a nice dinner out, actually Zoot I guess and that was one of the first posts on the blog. Wow. Anyway, it's a French restaurant and one of the fancier ones in Austin, and those together meant we had no idea what we were in for. It turned out to be one of the better dining experiences I have had. All three courses I had were delicious including the foie gras which I just had to get. One of the nicer things about the place is its laid back atmosphere. Dinner took two and a half hours and the waiter almost seemed offended that I didn't want a second cup of coffee. I particularly enjoyed the palate cleansers they served after the courses, very nice touch. I recommend it to anyone looking for a nice dinner out. If anyone can actually order from the Prix Fixe menu and finish all five courses and the three glasses of wine, please let me know.

Ever since watching the little bit of the O.C. that I have watched, I laugh when I hear "Chino." Just thought I would share.

On Friday, the UPS lady dropped off my latest toy, the Canon PowerShot A70, and I played with it all weekend. Point and shoot mode works fine and Jerry helped me through the nuances of using a digital camera for the first time. The things I am messing with now are how to take pictures without using the flash and how to mess with the white balance so that shots taken inside without the flash don't look like old 60s photographs. Seems I need a photography lesson. I'll bet most of the time the camera will be in point and shoot mode but I want to know what I am doing if I want better. Be on the look out for ImageStation links.

Melissa thought it would be fun to go to a non-football sporting event so we went to a UT baseball game on Sunday. I came away with a few suggestions for UT baseball fans. 1. "Give 'em hell. Give 'em hell. Make 'em eat shit," is not appropriate to say when you are the only one saying it and you are surrounded by many children under the age of 10. Learn the "alternate" version. 2. Mini skirts are not sporting event attire. It doesn't matter that you have a burnt orange T-shirt on. 3. Heckling is funny, but only in moderation. Yes, even lines about Rod in right field. I don't care what he did.

One final note, there are no longer any cables running across the living room floor or through the hallway. Hooray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home