Thursday, August 07, 2003

Love the One You Whiff

We watched Monster's Ball yesterday. I really had no idea what to expect and I think because of that I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Certainly the first half of the movie gives you reason to be, but I stayed there the whole movie. Its tough subject matter but I thought it was handled well. Setting a movie in Georgia but then filming it in Louisiana doesn't make much sense to me but it was nice to see sights I was familiar with so I really shouldn't complain. Halle did a wonderful job and I can see why she won the Oscar, though I don't understand why they didn't nominate Billy Bob. The ending worked for me, but I really was waiting for the other shoe to drop the whole time. I can't go as far to recommend it to anyone, but I enjoyed it and thought it was worth seeing so there you go.

Today I had one of my last "leadership" classes that work has been sending me to. Its been a while since we had the last one and I was thinking today how much of what we have covered I am actually using at work. I don't think I am using much. Maybe its just going on in my head somewhere and I don't realize it, but I doubt it. Certainly some of the classes I didn't really like, but some I thought were quite good. Why am I not using the stuff I learned? I mean sure it's just so easy to fall back into the routine at work and do what you've been doing, but why I am going if I'm not going to use any of it. Maybe I could make a cheat sheet list of skills and keep it on my desk. Anyway, today's class tried to explain business ideas like the balance sheet and the income statement. I respected the effort but it's not something most people want to know about and its also a hard thing to explain in a day. There were other points to the class too, like working in the business vs working on the business, and I think those other point came across, I was just surprised the guy attempted to explain something it takes many college courses for accountants to understand. Overall it was a good class, and though I am worried about the next one, I really am going to miss the people I have been sitting with. I really should have done a better job of making friends with the people. Only now do I realize that they could have been friends outside of work.

Taylor, Jerry, and I played nine holes after work today. Why we decided to play golf on the day that the temperature goes over 100 is beyond me. Richard was missed and playing as a threesome just isn't as fun as a foursome. We did get paired with a single and it turns out it was the same older man that I had played with when I went out over a year ago and played nine holes by myself. How weird is that? I seemed to find my driver but the ninth hole is still my nemesis. 51

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home