Thursday, September 21, 2006

I'm So Glad I've Found This

Melissa here about to give you the second day of Oktoberfest. Last night was not too bad. I only had one beer so we were fortunate enough to not be too hung over. I think we were just too tired to drink that much. We get up at a good hour and hit the internet cafe for some breakfast. We are all able to check email and find out what is going on in the world. It is a nice sunny day, so it should be great for the Fest. But then Jerry mentions that everyone else will be there too. We would like to get a seat inside one of the tents to enjoy the music, food, and beer. I did not realize the only way you can drink at Oktoberfest is to be seated at a tent. I thought you could just buy a drink and walk around. Much like fairs I attended in New Orleans. We are deciding when we will go to Oktoberfest. Jerry wants to go back to the Haufbrau house to eat. He went there last year with his german buddies and he wants to take us. Luckily, it is not too far from the hotel. A quick subway ride and we are there. Chad keeps mentioning though that he wants to buy me a authentic bavarian Oktoberfest outfit. You know the one. When you think of the Sound of Music or german girls. Yeah, that kind of dress. Every single girl is wearing one. EVERY SINGLE GIRL. He is joking, right?

Well, lunch first. We head to the Haufbrau house for sausage and beer. I picture this dirty little bar with only about 10 tables, but actually is was quite large. We get a seat at a big table not too far from the live band playing German music. Jerry, being the band geek that he is, eats this up. I always find it better with live music anyway. Now, the menu is completely in german and our waiter doesn't speak a word of english. This should be interesting. Beer is a universal word though, thank god. Chad and Jerry naturally get the hefeweizen and I get the Oktoberfest brew. Man, the beer in Europe, especially Germany is so much better than the swill that is served in America. Chad and Jerry order brats with sauerkrat and I had some sort of sausage salad. It was basically just sausage in vinegar. It was actually pretty good. The Germans know their sausage! After lunch, we walk around a bit to look for some souvenirs. I bet you can guess what Chris is getting from Germany. In a weird moment, we run into a guy from Baton Rouge in one of the shops. We know he is from Baton Rouge because he is wearing an LSU National Champions baseball hat. Man, Americans stick out so easily sometimes. There was something weirdly comforting to tell a guy Geaux Tigers while being so far from home. After the souvenir buying, Chad is adamant about this outfit for me. Seriously? Dead serious. So we hit the shops for me to find a drach, bluse, and apron. I can't believe this. If I buy this, I have to wear it tonight. At least I should be drunk later tonight! The first stores we go through, the outfits are way expensive. Apparently, some girls spend well over $300 on their outfit. Not me, just here for the day! We do end up at one store with loads of german girls and loads of choices. I have no clue what any of these sizes are or what they mean. Really, I can't believe I am doing this. I start pouring over the dress looking for something I like. Black, that is a good choice. Can't go wrong with black. What size, 38, 36, 40? NO CLUE! I grab about 5 dresses to try on. Jerry and Chad are waiting patiently for this. Chad is determined for me to get this outfit. I am not leaving this store without the outfit. After some weird manuevering in the dresses room, I emerge with a blouse, drache and apron. The dress in black with pink and green flowers and I have a green apron. You will see the pictures. The entire outfit cost $85! I guess that is cheap, not really sure. After the outfit is purchased, we head back to the hotel room for me to change. I can't believe I am doing this.

My new drache and the guys then head over the the Festival. Still can't believe I am wearing this outfit! Thankfully, so is every other girl. It is now about 5 pm so everyone is showing up to the fest. We walk around to a few tents, but unfortunately, every seat is taken. I guess we will have to sit outside. Man, I sure hope I don't freeze in this outfit. We scoot into a table with an older german couple. The don't speak english, but like I said, beer is a universal word. We "Proust" and everything is good. After about 30 minutes, the couple leaves and we scoot down the table to make room for more people. These 6 guys sit next to us. I think they are from Italy. They seem a little squished next to us, so they moved when another table frees us. We notice the table next to us has a bunch of drunk germans having a very good time. The rest of our table doesn't stay empty for very long. Four men sit down and they are speaking english. GOOD! Wait, they are British. EVEN BETTER! One of the German guys next to us notices we speak english and turns around to talk to us. He wants to practice his English. Needless to say, they become our new best friends for the night. After a little while, the Brits start talking to us also. One guy is from Ireland. Ok, now let me get this straight. I am now drink with the Brits, the Irish and the Germans all at the same time? SCORE!!!! Could this night rock anymore? It is true, the Irish and Germans can drink! Well, I think we talked, ate and drank for about three hours. We talked about our trip, New Orleans, Katrina and Texas. They taught us a German drinking song and a few German words. The pictures barely do this night justice. Over the course of the night, we all drink about 10 liters of beer. Jerry drinks the most and ends the night in the WC. Yep, "calling the dinosaurs" as he likes to say. This is the best night of this trip so far. Man, these Germans can drink! And remember, this is Thursday night. What is it like on the weekend? I can only imagine. As we drunkenly walk back to our hotel, I tell Jerry how glad I am we decided to come to Munich. This was fantastic. I think stop and buy a handful of chocolate covered strawberries. So good. We have a 9:30 train to catch tomorrow. Ouch! Funny thing, we went to bed around 11 pm.

3 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, what did Carrie say. . . ? I wonder if she too purchased this outfit in Germany. Anyway, I can't believe you purchased this outfit and wore it! (!!!) This is strange, but somehow I have gained a new repect for you, Melissa. Rock on.
Also, all three of you deserve props for singing in German with new international friends. Isn't that what going to Europe is all about?
--MDS

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Mimi - your German great-grandmother would be so proud of you!! Can't wait to see the pictures of you in that outfit! Your shopping expertise is astounding - sounds like you are ready for Canton.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home